MeCRU conducts a variety of clinical trials including HIV/AIDS vaccine and microbicide, Human Papilloma virus (HPV), Opportunistic infections trials, TB studies, Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) and Socio-behavioral studies.
- HIV Vaccine Trial Network (HVTN 503) – HIV Preventive Vaccine
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI 002) – HIV Preventive Vaccine
- EDCTP-European and Developing Countries Clinical Trial Partnership – Socio Behavioral Studies
- Socio behavioral studies Title: Community attitude towards adolescent involvement in HIV Vaccine Trials: A multi-Centre South African Study
- Istituto Superiore di Sanità – Centro Nazionale AIDS (Rome, Italy)-Italian Ministry; ISS T004 – Observational Studies
- Facts-Follow on African Consortium for Tenofivir Studies FACTS001 – Microbicide (Vaginal gel)
- Istituto Superiore di Sanità – Centro Nazionale AIDS (Rome, Italy)-Italian Ministry – ISS T003 HIV Therapeutic Vaccine
- HIV, HPV Prevalence in Men Who Have Sex with Men – MSM
- HIV Vaccine Trial Network (HVTN 702) – HIV Preventive Vaccine
- Regional Prospective Observational Research for Tuberculosis South Africa (RePORT SA) – TB study
Mecru Laboratory Services (MLS)
The unit has a Contract Research laboratory, MLS, to support the clinical trials. The laboratory is located 500m away in the Research Section of the Department of Microbiological Pathology. It is accredited by SANAS from 2005 (ISO 17025) to date (ISO 15189:2012) in Molecular biology section, Serology, bacteriology. The laboratory provides a variety of Clinical Trials support, including Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMC) isolation and Bulk specimen storage system.