The SMU Social work office is a newly established office led by a qualified social worker with enough experience to address various social issues affecting students. The office’s objective includes but not limited to preventing possible factors which may lead to poor academic performance. Our office is willing to provide services to all clients without favour and prejudice. We are currently based at clinical pathology building, floor 5, in particular room S531. We have a good working relationship with clinical and educational psychology sections.
- Basic counselling, development of coping mechanisms and or stress management
- Social relief of distress (food security)
- Crisis management
- Direct therapeutic services
- Conducting psychosocial assessments
- Debriefing (individuals and groups)
- Assist students with court preparations
- Assessing student with substance abuse problems, suicidal and similar issues.
- Food security project: addressing the food insecurity problem within the campus.
- Pad drive project
Mr. Malesa KJ
Tel: 012 521 4579
0838790697 (call and WhatsApp)
Any Additional Information
Our office is open from 7h30 till 16h00, however, students after 16h00 you are at liberty to communicate with the social worker via WhatsApp should a need arise. Students are requested to ensure that appointments are made to see the social worker.