How study study at SMU?
• Download the application form from www.smu.ac.za
• Complete the form in full and answer all questions with black ink (pen).
• Make sure the names appearing on your identity document (ID), as well as your certificates are the same and in the same sequence.
• All student application forms submitted after closing date will not be considered.
I am an international student, how do I apply to study at SMU?
All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Application for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country or residence/origin, and it would be in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) and to be submitted during registrations.
How do I apply for SMU student residence/accommodation?
• On page 5 of the student application form, there is an option for residential application
• What documents do I attach on the SMU student application form?
• Certified copy of your identity document (ID) or birth certificate.
• Certified copy of final grade 11 results or final national senior certificate (nsc)/matric certificate (only for those who completed matric). NB: Do not submit your midyear grade 12 results
• Official academic record(s) from previous university(ies) attended.
• Certificate of conduct from all universities attended (if applicable).
• Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip). NB: No application forms will be considered without proof of payment.
What documents do I attach on the SMU student application form?
- Certified copy of your ID or Birth Certificate.
- Certified copy of final grade 11 results or final National Senior Certificate (NSC) / Matric Certificate (only those who completed matric). NB: Do not submit your midyear grade 12 results.
- Official academic record(s) from previous university (ies) attended, including SMU (if applicable).
- Certificate of conduct from all universities attended (if applicable).
- Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip). NB: No application forms will be considered without proof of payment.
How much is the SMU student application fee?
The application fee is R200 only and is non-refundable.
Where and how do I deposit SMU student application fee?
Bank: Standard Bank
Account Number: 071 244 395
Account Name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Branch Number: 020 909
Use your ID number as a Reference
NB: No cash should accompany the application form.
Does SMU have online student application?
No, unfortunately, we currently do not have an online application (you can download the application form)
When is the closing date(s) for SMU student applications 2018?
- Friday 30 June 2017 is the closing date to apply for the following courses: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB); Bachelor of Diagnostic Radiography (B Rad); Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS); Bachelor of Dental Therapy (BDT); Bachelor of Oral Hygiene (BoH); Bachelor of Pharmacy (B Pharm); and Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy (BSc Physio).
- Friday 28 July 2017 is the closing date to apply for the following courses: Bachelor of Nursing Sciences and Art (B NSC / B Cur); Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (B SLP & A); Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (B Occ Ther); Bachelor of Science in Dietetics (BSc Dietetics); Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, Physics, Physiology, Psychology, Statistics.
Where do I post my SMU student application form?
Post to: The Registrar
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU)
P.O. Box 60
Or hand deliver to : Student Administration and Registration office
Clinical Pathology Building (Basement) at SMU
Office Hours : Monday – Friday: 7h30 – 17h30 (Monday – Friday)
Enquiries call: (012) 521 4979 / 4058 / 5886 / 4319 / 4137 / 4204
Can I e-mail/fax my SMU student application form?
No, applications sent by either email or fax will not be considered.
How do I know if my SMU student application form has been received?
You will receive an SMS notification notifying you that your application has been received.
How will I know about the status of my SMU student application?
All information regarding the status of your application will be communicated to you via SMS.
When can I expect a response from SMU on whether my application has been approved or not?
- Pre-selections will be done between September and October 2017, using your grade 11 results (current matriculants) and letters with the outcome will be sent.
- The final selection process will take place during the second week of January 2018, SMS notification and telephone calls will be made to successful applicants.
What documents should I bring when I come to register at SMU in 2018, provided my student application is successful?
Bring the following original documents: ID, NSC statements of results/ Matric Certificate (only those who completed matric), as well as an official academic transcript – (if applicable) on the day of registration during January/February 2018.
NB: No copies will be accepted.
NB: Kindly note that all SMU prospective students must write the National Benchmark Test (NBT) for 2018 admission.
For more information about NBT visit: www.nbt.ac.za , or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , or call: 021 650 3523.