Thank you for choosing to study at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) in 2021. Kindly take note of the following conditions in respect of study offers and registration:
1. Acceptance of study offer
The study offer should be accepted or declined within three (3) days of receipt of the offer by completing the Acceptance of Study Offer Form. The completed form should be emailed to: email@example.com. Please note that failure to respond within the three day period may result in your place being given to another student because places are limited at the University.
2. Student Fees
a. The 2021 tuition and residence fees
Information on fees is available on www.smu.ac.za. For more information on fees, call: 012 521 4614/5954.
b. Initial minimum tuition fee payment (for students without financial assistance)
• Self-funded students (without financial assistance) are required to pay an initial minimum amount of R4 500 before they are allowed to register. Payment should be made at Standard Bank into Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, account number: 071244395, branch code 020909. Use your student number as your reference;
• Cash will not be accepted on campus;
• Payment must be made at least three (3) days before registration; and
• The balance must be paid during the year.
3. Financial assistance
• If you are sponsored, provide written proof of sponsorship to the Finance Department.
• If you intend to apply for financial assistance through the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) visit www.nsfas.org.za as soon as possible. For more information, call 012 521 4622 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Scholarships and Merit Bursaries.
The University offers merit bursaries to first time entering students who have performed exceptionally well in the Grade 12 examinations and have not studied at other institutions of higher learning before. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office. For more information, call 012 521 4622 or email: email@example.com
There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. You have to apply for residence at the Sports Complex on campus after you have registered.
Please note that places are awarded on a first come first served basis. If unsuccessful, the University may assist you with off-campus accommodation or you can make your own arrangements.
6. Registration arrangements
a. Registration is online on the University self-help portal (iEnabler).
b. Students will be able to register on campus or off campus anytime during the day or at night on the dates listed in table below.
c. Students are expected to use their own gadgets (laptops or smart cellular phones) to register
d. If you experience problems during registration, call the following numbers 012 521 4204/ 4319/4644/5057 (during office hours
7. International students
International students will not be allowed to register before they are cleared by the International Office. The International Office can be contacted on 012 521 5834. Emails should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that international students are required to submit certified copies of the following documents:
• Valid passport;
• Valid study permit endorsed specifically for SMU; and
• Medical aid cover that is registered and administered in South Africa during your studies at SMU.
8. Student cards
a. Students are required to have student identity cards for identification and access purposes.
b. Students can collect their identity cards at the Sports Complex on campus after they have completed the registration process.
9. Important dates
|1 -2 March 2021||School of Pharmacy||Registration of first year students|
|2–5 March 2021||All Schools (excluding the School of Pharmacy)||Registration of first year students in the other 4 Schools|
|8-10 March 2021||All Schools||Orientation of first year students|
|11 March 2021||All Schools||Commencement of lectures for first year students|
10. PLEASE NOTE
The University reserves the right to verify the information provided. If the information is found to be misrepresented, your admission shall be revoked.
We look forward to welcoming you at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University in 2021
Office of the Registrar
26 February 2021