The SA Medical Association wishes to encourage postgraduate research in the medical field, specifically with a view to promoting research and development in medicine for medical doctors in South Africa.
SAMA is therefore proud to offer the SAMA PhD Supplementary Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded on merit to the successful applicant who must be a South African citizen and a graduate (MBChB or equivalent degree) of a university in South Africa who has started their PhD study one year prior to applying for this scholarship* as the SAMA Bursary Committee will also consider the progress made during the candidate’s first year of the PhD study.
Preference will be given to SAMA members.
The main selection criteria is the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for South Africa’s research programme. The scholarship will be non-exclusive and the recipient shall be required to provide a midyear report. The scholarship recipient must also agree to present their research findings at a SAMA Conference, if approached.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of R100 000 as well as one year’s tuition fees by no later than 15 February 2020.
The application must contain the following:
• Completed application form together with a passport-size photograph (electronic submission should include a colour copy scan of ID photo if possible);
• Abbreviated Curriculum vitae (max of 2 pages);
• Title of project and short abstract of research project (approx 500 words);
• Letter of Intent (explaining motives for applying);
• Letters of recommendation by two supervisors;
• Brief outline of the methodology you will use (including a budget if possible); and
• Proof of registration of PhD with academic institution (indicating the *PhD commenced a year earlier (2018)).
Applications will only be received between 15 July 2019 and 31 August 2019 and must be addressed to
The SAMA Bursary Committee
P O Box 74789
or email to Karlien Pienaar on Email: email@example.com
*electronic submissions are preferred.
Contact: 012- 481 2097
Successful candidates will be contacted by the latest on 10 November 2019, for an interview (in person or linked electronically).
Please visit this link to download application form: https://www.samedical.org/about-us/sama_phd_supplementary_scholarship