The department has young dynamic professionals with intensive IT experience. Currently, we offer courses in Computer Science & Information Technology leading to a 3-year normal BSc degree. Plans are underway to offer courses in Computer Science & Information Technology leading to a specialised BSc (CIT), BSc-HONS (CIT), MSc (CIT), and PhD (CIT).
We strive to train and equip students with skills for health, telecoms, financial, manufacturing, mining, entertainment, environment, and agriculture sectors, further advancement leading to research and teaching.
Why study Computer Science
Computer Science has become a household brand nowadays. It is not only about fixing computers and using applications like electronic mails and World Wide Web, computers make up a huge part of our everyday lives and will continue to do so in the future. Students studying Computer Science & Information Technology will acquire the knowledge, the skill, and the attitude in the analysis of software and hardware, the design, configuration, and development of computer systems used by various businesses or organizations to solve their problems in order to provide information needed to complete business tasks and achieve business goals. The Association of Computing Machinery (ACM), an international organization for scientists has listed the following as ten top reasons for studying or majoring in computer science:
- Computing is part of everything we do.
- Expertise in computing enables you to solve complex, challenging problems.
- Computing enables you to make a positive difference in the world.
- Computing offers many types of lucrative careers.
- Computing jobs are here to stay, regardless of where you are located.
- Expertise in computing helps even if your primary career is something else.
- Computing offers great opportunities for true creativity and innovativeness.
- Computing has space for both collaborative work and individual effort.
- Computing is an essential part of well-rounded academic preparation.
- Future opportunities in computing are without boundaries.