Biochemistry is offered from second year as a major course towards three-year bachelor’s of science degree. Students are required to take Biology, Physical sciences and Chemistry as part of their first year courses. Formal lectures and laboratory practical are offered weekly towards qualifying for summative examination. More information on the courses offered is obtained below.
Second year level
- MBIA021: Essential biomolecules, structures and functions
- MBIA022: Bioenergetics and intermediary metabolism
Third year level
- MBIA031: Biochemical techniques
- MBIA032: Gene structure and functions
Postgraduate studies are offered at Honours, MSc, PhD and Postdoctoral levels.
Honours degree (Qualification: HSCP01)
An Honours is a one year degree offered in two semesters. Students obtaining 60% and above in biochemistry third year are encouraged to apply. The degree is offered as course work and as a research dissertation. Students choose projects based on their research interest in consultation with the respective staff member for supervision. The research projects account for 60% towards summative assessment. List of modules offered for an Honours degree:
- MBIA081: Research Methodology
- MBIB081: Medical Biochemistry
- MBIA082: Advanced Protein Chemistry
- MBIB082: Applied Molecular Biology
- MBIC080: Research Project
MSc (MBIA090) and PhD (MBIA100) Qualifications
Different criteria are used for the selection of suitable and qualified students for these degrees. MSc is a two year degree with dissertation and PhD offered for three years minimum with thesis. Individual students select projects based on research interests supervised by the respective staff members within that field of expertise.