About the Department
The BSc degree is recommended for students intending to pursue graduate work in Chemistry or those desiring a strong technical background for work in the chemical industry or other highly technical areas. Graduates from this program are also equipped to train further in medicine, dentistry, public health, agriculture, science education and a number of other areas. The graduates in BSc (Hons) are equipped with enough knowledge and skills as are required for employment in the chemical and related industries at technical, production and entry level research and development personnel. The Master of Science (MSc) program provides students an opportunity to receive advanced training in chemistry and to pursue independent research. It therefore enhances a student’s overall knowledge in chemistry and experimental skills. If you wish to pursue a research career you need a research degree, preferably a PhD degree. Establish participatory management structures for staff and students for the promotion of academic and personal development.
The faculty and the support staff of the Department of Chemistry provide an environment where students at all levels can explore, discover, and learn Chemistry through course work and /or research. We therefore encourage you to spent time on our site in the area of your interest. We are very hopeful that you will find the Department of Chemistry at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences an exciting place to work as you develop as a professional.
Our Strategic goals are:
- To recruit, utilize, train and retain a growing team of committed enthusiastic academics to support these programs.
- To build research capacity for student training and staff development through support, leadership and mentorship.
- To encourage and support staff to achieve the highest qualifications and research scholarships in their fields.
- To direct staff commitment towards the goals of student training and research productivity with various forms of communications.
- To build strong and profitable links with industry partners who would assist with strategic direction, support and resources, and benefit from the research, postgraduate student outputs.
- To encourage staff to engage in individual as well as collaborative research through self initiative team-work and collaboration to achieve marketable outputs.
- To initiate and undertake directed fundamental research in science education and applied scientific research relevant to the needs of South Africa and SADC.
- To render relevant services to the community and collaborate with external organizations in service delivery.
- Strengthen support services for students and student involvement in the running of departmental affairs.
- Establish participatory management structures for staff and students for the promotion of academic and personal development.
- Forensic Chemist
- Analytical Chemist
- Inorganic Chemist
- Organic Chemist
- Physical Chemist
- Polymer Chemist
- Medicinal Chemist
- Patent Law
- Food Technology
- Technical Sales Representative
- Environmental Quality Regulation