Select Page

International Students General Information

General Information to International Students

  1. All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study visa prior to entering South Africa. Applications for study visa should be submitted to the South African Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of origin and must be issued in favour of the Sefako Makgatho Health Science University. This study permit must be submitted during registration.
  2. It is required that all International students pay their fees in full prior to registration to avoid delays that may arise during registration.

Study Visa (Permits) Requirements

Ideally, a prospective student should have a study visa before leaving their country of origin, as it is a requirement of South African Immigration Act. The current practice does, however, allow an international student to apply for a study visa whiles already in the country. Study visas are issued for specific academic institution. If you would like to change institutions, you must obtain a new study visa. It is important to note that study permits are valid for a specific period and you will be required to renew it during your period of study.

SADC protocol on Education

The SA government has entered into an agreement with SADC countries to allow their prospective students to study at South African universities, and be given ALMOST the same treatment as South African students.

The following are documents required from prospective international students as per South African Government directive:

  • Valid study visa. A study visa should be applied for immediately after receiving a letter of admission.
  • Copy of passport.
  • Copy of evaluation certificate of results from HESA or SAQA.
  • Health Insurance. This health insurance SHOULD be acceptable by the South African medical insurance fraternity.
  • Police clearance from Country of origin.

IO Office requires this information to:

  • Keep track of academic progress made or lack thereof.
  • Keep SA Missions abroad and the local Department of Home Affairs posted of progress.
  • Keep records of conduct of all international students and,
  • Keep records of all those who have graduated from the university.

Undergraduate Programmes

School of Health Care Sciences:

Bachelor of Sciences in Dietetics
Bachelor of Nursing Sciences & Arts
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology

School of Medicine:

Bachelor of Diagnostic Radiography
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery

School of Oral Health Sciences:

Bachelor of Dental Surgery
Bachelor of Dental Therapy
Bachelor of Oral Hygiene

School of Pharmacy:

Bachelor of Pharmacy

School of Science and Technology:

 Bachelor of Science