TO: STAFF AND STUDENTS
FROM: DR JM MABELEBELE, REGISTRAR
DATE: 10 MAY 2020
SUBJECT: VIRTUAL GRADUATION CEREMONIES OF THE UNIVERSITY, 11-13 MAY 2020
As communicated to staff, students and graduates previously, the University will be honouring and celebrating the achievements of our graduands at the virtual graduation ceremonies to be held on 11 to 13 May 2020. The virtual ceremonies will be held as follows:
- 11 May 2020 – School of Science and Technology
- 12 May 2020 – School of Health Care Sciences; and School of Pharmacy
- 13 May 2020 – School of Oral Health Sciences; and School of Medicine
All qualifying candidates will graduate in absentia, and those who need their degree or diploma certificates on an urgent basis, will begin to receive copies of those from Friday, 22 May 2020. The original certificates will only be released or collected when the situation in the country and University has returned to normalcy.
Notwithstanding these virtual Graduation Ceremonies referred to above, all Graduands and Diplomates will also be afforded another opportunity “to walk the stage” hopefully in the second half of 2020 at a symbolic Graduation Ceremony, once the national disaster and lockdown restrictions imposed as a result of COVID-19 have been lifted. The exact date will be communicated to the candidates once confirmed by the Senate.
Join us as we celebrate and honour the achievements of our 2020 Graduands and Diplomates, from 11-13 May 2020. In order to do so, follow the steps below from 10h00 each day on 11-13 May 2020:
- Go to the SMU website;
- Visit the 2020 virtual graduation ceremonies webpage;
- Find and open the video link and be part of the ceremonies; and
- Even though the names of the graduating candidates will appear on the video, the same names will also appear on the same webpage from 11-13 may 2020 (per school and per qualification).
The ceremonies will start at 10h00 on each of the days (11-13 May 2020).
DR JM MABELEBELE
(sent electronically and therefore unsigned)