What are Electronic Resources (e-Resources)?
How do I know which e-Resources our library subscribes to?
Follow this link for the full list of Library-subscribed resources
How do I access library e-Resources?
e-Resources may be accessed on-campus and remotely.
How many qualifications/degrees can I apply for?
You are allowed to apply for a maximum of two qualifications, first choice and second choice.
What are the admissions requirements?
For information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the www.smu.ac.za, click under students and look for the following:
- Admissions and Selections Rules for different Schools; and
- Undergraduate Prospectus 2022
Please note: the University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
How can I apply?
You can apply either online or manually. However, online applications are currently limited to undergraduate qualifications for South African and International applicants who have written or are studying towards the National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examinations Board (IEB) certificate or studying at other South African Universities.
How do I apply online?
To apply online, you need:
- Access to the internet and a valid email address;
- To complete the Application Form accurately online;
- To specify the names of your first and second choice degrees (if applicable);
- Pay the R200 non-refundable application fee; and
- Upload the following the documents: certified copies of your ID/passport; Grade 11/12 results; academic record (if you have attended other universities including SMU) and proof of payment of the non-refundable application fee.
How do I apply manually?
- Download the Application Form that is available on www.smu.ac.za;
- Complete the form in full and answer all questions with black ink (pen);
- Make sure the names appearing on your identity document (ID), as well as your certificates are the same and in the same sequence; and
- Include the following the documents: certified copies of your ID/passport; Grade 11/12 results; academic record (if you have attended other universities including SMU) and proof of payment of the non-refundable application fee.
If I am an international student; how do I apply to study at SMU?
How do I apply for SMU student residence/accommodation?
There is an option for residential application on the Application Form.
Please Note: there are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
Where can I get more information about the application process?
Enquiries should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that communication should be through email because staff members are currently working from home in compliance with lockdown regulations.
How much is the application fee?
The application fee is R200 and is non-refundable.
Where and how do I deposit the application fee?
Bank Name: Standard Bank
Account Number: 071 244 395
Account Name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Branch Number: 020 909
- Use your ID or student number as a Reference
- No cash should accompany the application form.
- Application Forms without proof of payment will not be considered.
What documents do I attach to the application form?
- Certified copy of your ID or Birth Certificate.
- Certified copy of final Grade 11 results or mid-year Grade 12 results or National Senior Certificate (NSC)/Matric Certificate (if you have completed Grade 12/Matric).
- Official academic record(s) from previous university(ies) attended, including SMU (if applicable).
- Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip).
To whom do I address my manual SMU application form?
Post to: The Registrar
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
P.O. Box 60
Or hand deliver to:
Enrolment Management Office
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Clinical Pathology Building (Basement)
Office Hours: 07h30 – 16h00 (Monday – Friday)
Or email to: email@example.com
How do I know if my SMU application form has been received?
You will receive an SMS/email notification.
When can I expect a response about the status of my application if am in Grade 12?
- Pre-selections will be done between October and December 2020, using your Grade 11 results (for those in Grade 12) and you will be informed about the outcome.
- The final selection will take place in January 2021, after the release of Grade 12/NSC results by the Department of Basic Education and Independent Examinations Board.
- There will be SMS and email notifications and/or telephone calls to applicants.
- You can also check the status of your application on smu.ac.za after the release of Grade 12.
When can I expect a response about the outcome of my application if I have already passed Grade12/Matric?
- You can check the status of your application on www.smu.ac.za
When is registration going to take place for the accepted applicants?
Successful applicants will be informed about registration details in January.
Can a study/admission offer be withdrawn?
Yes, the offer can be withdrawn if the information provided by the applicant is found to be untruthful after an admission offer has been made. The admission offer can be revoked immediately and no further correspondence will be entered into with the applicant.