Transforming Science and Technology through Interdisciplinary quality education, research, community engagement and innovation for societal development.
To provide quality training in Science and Technology with the aim of producing global leaders that inspire solutions to societal problems.
Message from the Dean: School of Science & Technology
Hearty greetings and welcome to the School of Science and Technology, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University. The School is known for providing excellent educational opportunities in the areas of Mathematical, Life, Physical, Occupational and Environmental Sciences anchored on Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
The School also offers an Extended Curriculum Program (BSc-ECP) over a four-year period as a way of enhancing student access and success. Recently, some major fields were approved by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). They consist of Biotechnology, Environmental Biology, Environmental Toxicology as well as Honours streams in Information and Communication Technology.
The School provides strong articulation from ECP programmes to doctoral degrees. A pilot study was recently conducted in terms of an ultimate goal to entrench Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at the postgraduate level. In addition to the foregoing, we offer training in Science and Technology to students registered in the Schools of Oral Health Sciences, Health Care Sciences, Pharmacy and Medicine. Career/work related prospects for students registered in the various streams in the School of Science and Technology are as follows:-
Career/work related prospects
Career/work related prospects for students registered in the various streams in the School of Science and Technology are as follows:-
- Brewery, Food and Dairy Industries: (Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, ICT).
- Research Institutes such as Agricultural Research Council (ARC), Botanical Institute, Zoological Gardens, Medical Research Council (MRC), Water Research Commission (WRC), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), National Research Foundation (NRF). All streams (Biology, Environmental Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, ICT, Biotechnology, Environmental Management and Toxicology).
- Government Departments: Departments of Health, Environmental Affairs, Trade and Industry, Science and Technology, Communications, Public Enterprises, Transport, Education, Statistics South Africa.
(Mathematics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biology, Statistics, Physics, ICT).
- Financial Institutions: Banks, Insurance Companies, Stock exchange, Business Analyst. (ICT, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics).
- Telecommunications: Vodacom, Cell C, MTN. (ICT, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biotechnology).
- Mining: (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, ICT, Computer Science, Biology, Biochemistry, Environmental Biology, Statistics, Environmental Management and Toxicology, Biotechnology).
- Retail: (Statistics, ICT, Computer Science, Biochemistry, Biology).
- Artificial Intelligence: (Computer Science, ICT, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry).
To give impetus to innovation and Entrepreneurship, the School plans to establish a Centre for Entrepreneurship, predicated on multi-disciplinarity, internationalization and community engagement.
Our staff members are suitably qualified to deliver on the various disciplines and to produce well-rounded graduates that are in sync with the momentum of modern developments in Science, Technology and Innovation. A gradual move towards commercialisation of research findings or products is envisaged because it is the key hinge in the overlap between research and innovation.
Considering the array of opportunities and career prospects in the School, it is our pleasure to welcome you to the School of Science and Technology, the home for your future career.
– Prof CL Obi
Dean – School of Science & Technology
Office of The Dean: School of Science and Technology
Prof. Lawrence Obi
Ms Phumzile Zulu
Tel: +27(0) 12 521 4304/3362
Fax: +27(0) 12 521 3070
Maseeng Nkobeni (Admin Officer)
Refilwe Mashilwane (Admin Officer)