1. When can I apply to study at SMU in 2024?
Applications opened on 3 April 2023 and closed on 28 July 2023. Applicants were encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointments.
2. Will late applications and/or walk-ins be allowed?
Late applications and/or walk-ins will NOT be allowed as the University receives high number of applications for each of the programmes on offer.
3. How many qualifications/degrees can I apply for?
You are allowed to apply for a maximum of two qualifications, first choice and second choice. However, the University gives priority to first choice applications because of the high number of applications that are received.
4. What are the admissions requirements for different programmes offered at SMU?
Information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, is available on www.smu.ac.za. Click under students and look for the following:
- Admissions and Selections Rules for different Schools; and
- SMU Undergraduate Prospectus; or
- Follow this link: Undergraduate Students | SMU
- Meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee automatic admission into a programme because the University receives more applications than the number of places available.
- All applications go through a rigorous and competitive selection process and offers are based on merit.
5. How can I apply?
You can apply Online Application | SMU
6. How do I apply online?
To apply online, you need:
- Access to the internet and a valid email address;
- To complete the application accurately online;
- To specify the names of your first and second choice degrees (if applicable);
- Pay the R300 non-refundable application fee; and
- Upload the following the documents:
- Certified copy of yourID or Birth Certificate.
- Certified copy of final Grade 11 results or National Senior Certificate (NSC)/Matric Certificate (if you have completed Grade 12/Matric).
- Official academic record(s) from previous universities attended, including SMU (if applicable).
- Proof of payment for application
- Certified copy of your ID
7. If I am an international student; how do I apply to study at SMU?
All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to:
- submit the documents mentioned in number (e) above;
- submit previous foreign qualifications that have been evaluated by South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- obtain study permits prior to registering as students. Application for study permits should be submitted to the Department of Home Affairs (South Africa), Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and should be in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU). The study permit should to be submitted during registration.
8. How do I apply for SMU student residence/accommodation?
There is an option for residential application on the Application Form.
Please Note: there are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
9. How much is the application fee?
The application fee is R300 and is non-refundable.
10. Where and how do I deposit the application fee?
Bank Name: Standard Bank
Account Number: 071 244 395
Account Name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Branch Number: 020 909
Please note: use your ID or student number as a reference
11. How do I know if my SMU application form has been received?
You will receive an acknowledgement email after submitting your online application.
12. When can I expect a response about the status of my application if am in Grade 12?
- Pre-selections will be done between September and November 2023, using your Grade 11 results and you will be informed about the outcome.
- Final selections will take place in January 2024, after the release of Grade 12/NSC results by the Department of Basic Education and Independent Examinations Board.
- There will be SMS and email notifications and/or telephone calls to applicants.
- You can also check the status of your application on smu.ac.za after the release of Grade 12 results early in 2024.
13. When can I expect a response about the outcome of my application if I have already passed Grade12/Matric?
- You will receive the outcome of your application by the end of October 2023.
- You can also check the status of your application on smu.ac.za, from the end of October 2023
14. Where can I get more information about the application process?
Enquiries should be emailed to: email@example.com.
15. Can the decision of the Selection and Admissions Committee be challenged?
The decision of the Selection and Admission Committee is final and no other person or committee or structure can overrule it. However, in highly exceptional circumstances, the Committee may consider appeals by applicants who are not satisfied with its decisions. Such appeals should be:
- in writing and stating the grounds for the appeal;
- lodged within three (3) days of receipt of the Committee decision; and
- emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
16. When is registration going to take place for the accepted applicants?
Successful applicants will be informed about registration details in January 2024 after final selections have been made for those who are in Grade 12 in 2023.
17. Can a study/admission offer be withdrawn?
Yes, the offer can be withdrawn if the information provided by the applicant is found to be untruthful after an admission offer has been made. The admission offer can be revoked immediately and no further correspondence will be entered into with the applicant.