Notices relating to Applications
Submission of 2023 applications for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes (Officially closed)
Applications for all qualifications open on 25 April 2022 and close as follows:
- Friday, 29 July 2022 for undergraduate programmes
- Friday, 30 September 2022 for postgraduate programmes
- Apply for the Undergraduate Qualification using the online application by clicking here
- If you will apply for both under and postgraduate degrees, first apply for the undergraduate degree using the process shown in the following web pages.
- 2023 Online Residence Application Notice, please click here
POST GRADUATE (PG) Applicants:
- 1. Students apply online and also complete the enrolment form for recommendation
- 2. SMU Application Form (Officially closed)
- 3. If you are applying for multiple choices
3.1. You must apply online for 1st and 2nd choices and complete the enrolment form for each PG choice and send the form(s) to email@example.com;
3.2. For the 3rd and further choices of Post Graduate qualifications; you only complete the enrolment form for each PG choice and send the form(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org
a) Applications should be submitted online.
b) Consent to process personal Information:
By continuing with this application, you give consent to the University to process your personal information and that the University reserves the right to verify the information provided. On the other hand, the University is committed to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) No. 4 of 2013 and to ensure that personal information provided is only used for the purpose for which it is intended.
c) The application should be completed accurately and fully.
d) The names should be the same as they appear in your identity/passport document.
e) You are allowed to apply for only two study choices. The first qualification chosen will be regarded as your first choice and the other one as your second choice. You should select the qualification code and name from the “List of Values” provided.
f) The residence section should only be completed if you wish to stay in the University residence.
g) You should pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.00. Use your student/ID number as reference when making payment.
f. You are encouraged to apply before the closing dates because it will not be possible to submit your application after the closing date.
UPLOADING SCANNED DOCUMENTS
Please remember to upload the following certified and individually scanned documents:
a. Certified copy of your ID/passport document (compulsory).
b. Certified Grade 11 end of year examination results (for those currently in grade 12) or your National Senior/Matric/IEB Certificate (if you have already completed Grade 12).
c. Certified copies of your degree certificate(s) and academic record (if you attended or are currently a student at SMU or another university).
d. Certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable).
e. Proof of payment of the compulsory and non-refundable application fee of R200.00
Below are the documents to be attached for Post Graduate Applicants:
Certified copies of the following documents:
- Matric exemption certificate (including subject marks)
- ID document / Passport / Work permit / Study permit
- Diploma/Degree certificate/s
- Comprehensive academic record (indicating marks obtained for subjects)
- Certificate of registration with the relevant professions council (if applicable)
- Letter of appointment as registrar with a date of assumption of duty: applicants for M Med and M Dent students NB: letter from the employer, e.g. Hospital HR.
- Motivational letter and CV (Public Health applicants only)
- Medical aid (Non South Africans)
- Students with non-South African qualifications must attach SAQA evaluation certificate with their previous degrees obtained
- Application fee
Banking details are as follows:
Account name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Bank name: Standard Bank
Account no.: 071244395
Branch no.: 020909
Reference no.: Your ID/ Passport number/ Student number
a. Your application will not be processed if you have not submitted all the required applicable documentation mentioned above.
b. If you have not submitted the required documentation within a period of two months, unfortunately your application will not be considered.
c. The University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admissions requirements does not guarantee admission.
d. There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
e. All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Applications for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and it would be issued in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University and to be submitted during registration.
f. If you need more information, call 012-521 4058/5886/4315/4319/4137/4204/4979
Please continue with the application process until the end by pressing the submit button.