Services Catalogue for Students
Does SMU consider late applications?
Unfortunately, late applications will not be considered.
How many qualifications/degrees can I apply for?
You are allowed to apply for a maximum of two qualifications, first choice and second choice.
What are the admissions requirements?
For information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the www.smu.ac.za, click under students and look for the following:
- Admissions and Selections Rules for different Schools; and
- SMU Undergraduate Prospectus; or
- Follow this link: Undergraduate Students | SMU
Please note: the University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
How can I apply?
You can apply Online Application | SMU
How do I apply online?
To apply online, you need:
- Access to the internet and a valid email address;
- To complete the Application Form accurately online;
- To specify the names of your first and second choice degrees (if applicable);
- Pay the R300 non-refundable application fee; and
- Upload the following the documents: certified copies of your ID/passport; Grade 11/12 results; academic record (if you have attended other universities including SMU) and proof of payment of the non-refundable application fee.
If I am an international student; how do I apply to study at SMU?
All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Application for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and should be in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU). The study permit should to be submitted during registration.
How do I apply for SMU student residence/accommodation?
- There is an option for residential application on the Application Form.
Please Note: there are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
How much is the application fee?
The application fee is R300 and is non-refundable.
How do I know if my SMU application form has been received?
You will receive an SMS/email notification
When can I expect a response about the status of my application if am in Grade 12?
- Pre-selections will be done between October and December, using your Grade 11 results (for those in Grade 12) and you will be informed about the outcome.
- The final selection will take place in January of each year, after the release of Grade 12/NSC results by the Department of Basic Education and Independent Examinations Board.
- There will be SMS and email notifications and/or telephone calls to applicants.
- You can also check the status of your application on smu.ac.za after the release of Grade 12 results early in January each year.
What documents do I attach to the application form?
- Certified copy of your ID or Birth Certificate.
- Certified copy of final Grade 11 results or mid-year Grade 12 results or National Senior Certificate (NSC)/Matric Certificate (if you have completed Grade 12/Matric).
- Official academic record(s) from previous university(ies) attended, including SMU (if applicable).
- Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip).
When is registration going to take place for the accepted applicants?
Successful applicants will be informed about registration details in January each year.
Can a study/admission offer be withdrawn?
- Yes, the offer can be withdrawn if the information provided by the applicant is found to be untruthful after an admission offer has been made. The admission offer can be revoked immediately and no further correspondence will be entered into with the applicant.
Where and how do I deposit the application fee?
Bank Name: Standard Bank
Account Number: 071 244 395
Account Name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Branch Number: 020 909
- Use your ID or student number as a Reference
- No cash should accompany the application form.
- Application Forms without proof of payment will not be considered.
When can I expect a response about the outcome of my application if I have already passed Grade12/Matric?
- You may receive the outcome of your application before the end of the year or early in January.
- You can also check the status of your application on www.smu.ac.za
Where can I get more information about the application process?
- Enquiries should be emailed to: email@example.com. Please note that communication should be through email because staff members are currently working from home in compliance with lockdown regulations.