Notice – Selections and Admissions: First Time Entering Applicants for the 2023 Academic Year
We would like to start off by thanking you for choosing to study at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU). As a way of keeping you informed about the timelines for the final selection and admission decisions for the 2023 academic year, kindly note the following:
a. Pre-selections were done by the School Selection and Admission Committees in September and October 2022.
b. The outcomes of pre-selections were communicated to pre-selected applicants.
c. Final selections will be made after the release of Grade 12 (NSC) results in January 2023.
d. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their applications through an email, phone or sms as and when decisions are made by the School Selection and Admission Committees.
e. Applicants should always check the status of their applications on the SMU website (https://lifestudent.smu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login) using your allocated student number and pin
f. Successful applicants are expected to accept/decline their offers within three (3) days upon receipt of such an offer. Failure to accept an offer within three (3) days will result in the offer being given to another applicant because there are limited places available for all our academic programmes.
g. Successful applicants will be given more information about registration and fees after they have accepted their study offers. Such information will also be made available on the University website.
h. Successful applicants will, after being registered, be required to attend orientation programme where they will be informed of the University, its structures and important services available to students and other related matters. The details will be communicated to successful applicants by the Department of Marketing and Communication.
• Every student who has been granted space or accepted to study at the University for the first time as a first year entering or a continuing student will be expected to pay a registration fee of R4500 before registration.
• Students who have received bursaries as evidenced by confirmation letters from either NSFAS or Public Sector sponsors or listed verified sponsors are ordinarily not expected to pay registration fees, hence unblocked automatically;
• Students who applied for any bursary still awaiting the outcome are expected to pay full registration fees.
• Any other special case, as determined by officials should be directed to Student Appeals Committee, the CFO or delegate.
• The University receives more applications than the number of available spaces.
• Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the University programmes.
• There are limited places available in University residences and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in either a University-owned or leased residence. The places are awarded on a first come, first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
• Late applications and/or walk-ins will NOT be allowed as the University has already received large volumes of applications for each of the programmes on offer.
• The selection of transfer applicants (within SMU and from other Universities) will take place in January and February 2023, after the release of SMU supplementary results for the 2022 academic year.
• Except by invitation from the University, applicants should not come to the campus. Enquiries related to selection, admission or registration should be emailed to: email@example.com Applicants should write their names in full and use their student number in their correspondence with the University.
• Telephonic enquiries related to selection/admission/registration should be directed to the following numbers: 012 521 4204/ 5060/5062/4644/5057
Issued by: Office of the Registrar
09 January 2023