Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University congratulates its Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter Mbati for being appointed in 2 important bodies in the international higher education and research spaces namely: Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) and Strathmore Academy for International Research Collaboration (SAIRC).
Prof Mbati will serve on the Audit Committee of RUFORUM for a period of 3 years eﬀective from October 2023 until October 2026. Some of the responsibilities for Audit Committee members include:
- Providing oversight on Audit operations of the RUFORUM Secretariat;
- Reviewing annual audit reports of the Secretariat, prior to submission to the Board;
- Advising the Board on the RUFORUM’s Audit management procedures;
- Considering management’s reactions and comments on RUFORUM Audit reports before they are presented to the Board Executive Committee and the full Board by the Executive Secretary for conﬁrmation.
At SAIRC, Prof Mbati will serve on the Research Advisory Board with eﬀect from December 2023 until 2026 and his key role will be to advise the Oﬃce of the President and the Board of Directors with respect to the full range of Academy activity.
- Additional responsibilities will also include reviewing and making recommendations regarding the Academy’s policies and programs concerning the Research Administration, the IRB, Partnerships, research funding, research collaborations, research facilities, research communications, and other matters within the purview of the Academy’s research enterprise;
- He will also advise and guide the Academy on opportunities, challenges, and strategies related to all research, with a particular emphasis on research conducted in the CREs established by the Academy as well as providing advice to the office of the president regarding the emergence of new and existing initiatives that will energize Academy’s research culture and enhance competitiveness for sponsored funding, along with maximizing societal impacts of multidisciplinary research, scholarship, creative works, and entrepreneurial activities.
These appointments have come at a crucial time when Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University is escalating its efforts to foster strategic partnerships with several institutions and bodies in the African Continent and the world in line with its 2024-2028 strategic plan.