Applications to study at SMU in 2021 are officially closed
Thank you for the interest to study at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU). For information on admission requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the undergraduate prospectus on www.smu.ac.za or use the link under number 3 below. Please note that you are allowed to apply for only two study choices.
You can apply either online or manually. However, online applications are currently limited to undergraduate qualifications for South African and International applicants who have written or are studying towards the National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examinations Board (IEB) certificate or studying at other South African Universities. Applications for postgraduate studies and Short Learning Programmes (excluding Higher Certificate: Vaccinology) should be done manually. Applicants are encouraged to apply before the closing date because late applications will not be considered.
- Application Form for 2021 Academic Year, please click here
- School Calendars, please click here
- SMU Undergraduate Prospectus 2021, please click here
- Admissions Selection Rules, please click here
- More details about Higher Certificate (Vaccinology)
For the manual application process, please ensure that you:
- Complete the form in full and answer all questions with black ink
- Write your names the same as they appear in your identity/passport document.
- Specify the names of the first choice and second choice degrees (if applicable)
- Complete the residence section (if applicable).
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.00 and send proof of payment. Use the reference number/student number generated by the system when making payment.
Please remember to attach the following documents:
- Certified copy of your ID/passport document (compulsory).
- Certified final Grade 11 results or Grade 12 June results or your National Senior/Matric/ IEB Certificate (if you have already completed Grade 12).
- Certified copies of your degree certificate(s) and academic record(s) (if you attended other universities).
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate/ divorce decree (if applicable).
- Proof of non-refundable application fee payment of R200.
Banking Details are as follows:
Account name: SMU; Bank name: Standard Bank, Account no.: 071244395 Branch no.: 020909; Ref no.: Your ID/ Passport number/ Student number
- Your application will not be processed if you have not submitted all the required applicable documentation mentioned above.
- If you have not submitted the required documentation within a period of two months, unfortunately your application will not be considered.
- The University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admissions requirements does not guarantee admission.
- There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
- All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Applications for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and it would be issued in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University and to be submitted during registration.
- Application forms submitted after the closing dates will not be considered.
Consent to process personal Information
- by continuing with this application, you give consent to the University to process your personal information and that the University reserves the right to verify and validate the correctness of the information provided.
- the University is committed to protecting personal information provided in compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) No. 4 of 2013.
- if the information provided is found to be misrepresented or untruthful after an admission offer has been made, the admission offer will be revoked immediately and no further correspondence will be entered into with the prospective student concerned.
- If you need more information, call 012-521 4058/5886/4315/4319/4137/4204/4979
The completed application form for admission (together with the relevant documentation) should be posted/send to:
The Registrar Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
P. O. Box 60
School of Health Care Sciences:
Bachelor of Sciences in Dietetics
Bachelor of Nursing Sciences & Arts
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology
School of Medicine:
Bachelor of Diagnostic Radiography
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
School of Oral Health Sciences:
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
Bachelor of Dental Therapy
Bachelor of Oral Hygiene
School of Pharmacy:
Bachelor of Pharmacy
School of Science and Technology:
Bachelor of Science