Congratulations Peter Mbati for his confirmed membership of the International Association of University Presidents (IAUP). In this regard, he joins a group of peer Presidents and Vice Chancellors who together comprise the world’s preeminent organization of university leaders. The International Association of University Presidents (IAUP) is an association of university chief executives from higher education institutions around the world. Membership is limited to those individuals who serve as Presidents, Rectors or Vice-Chancellors at regionally accredited colleges or universities. The IAUP had its foundational Triennial Conference in 1965 and has continued to strive for excellence in the following areas:
- To increase the exchange of experiences, levels of collaboration and networking between university leaders.
- To provide a well-informed forum for university leaders throughout the world.
- To contribute to a worldwide vision of higher education.
- To strengthen the international mission of institutions throughout the world.
- To make every effort for the voice of educational leaders to be heard.
- To support sustainable development in a context of global competency.
- To promote peace and international understanding through education.
- IAUP is a NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) holding the highest (ECOSOC) consultation rights at the United Nations and formal consultation rights with UNESCO.
The IAUP acknowledges that we are living in unprecedented times, with challenges and opportunities worldwide. In this context, it seeks to provide a platform for higher education leaders to learn from what is working, to note what has not worked, and to effect the necessary improvements, while reinventing, innovating and extending the boundaries of what we know. It is envisaged that Prof. Mbati’s appointment to the IAUP will have a positive impact not just for SMU but also for our country and the African region in general with regard to quality, relevance and innovation.